October 9, 2018
October 7-13, 2018 is OCD Awareness Week!
Here are some facts about OCD and its treatment to commemorate OCD Awarness week.
- 1.2% of adults have had OCD within the past year. This is about 2.2 million people.
- Half of these adults have severe OCD
- Lifetime prevelance of OCD in adults is 2.3%
- OCD affects men and women generally equally
- Average age of onset is 19 but 25% of cases occur before age 14
- OCD is a very treatable disorder with effective treatment
- Expsoure and response prevention therapy (ERP) is the first-line treatment
- Medications are often used as well but they are not as effective as ERP
- SSRI medications are most effective but higher dosages are required and longer treatment trials